Bosphorus Plus Tour – Half Day Morning Tour
Bosphorus Cruise, Cable Car to Pierre Loti Hill Cafe, Rustem Pasa Mosque
You will be picked up from your hotel at approximately 08:30 for this morning Bosphorus cruise and sightseeing tour.
Bosphorus Cruise: We will cruise on the Bosphorus to allow you the prime perspective from which to view the fine palaces, pavilions, Ottoman houses and seaside neighborhoods along the shores of this famous and historic waterway connecting the Black Sea and the Maramara Sea.
The Marmaray provides a unique chance to make a link between the European and Asian continents by train in a sub-sea tunnel (resting upon the sea floor beneath the waters of the Bosphorus Strait). This engineering feat was first conceived by a legendary Ottoman sultan in 1860. Designed to withstand earthquakes, this is the world’s first underwater tunnel that connects two continents. In theory, it brings closer the day when it will be possible to travel from London to Beijing via Istanbul by train!
The giant rail system of Istanbul’s Marmaray Project was inaugurated and opened on October 29, 2013 following four years of construction delays that were largely due to the discovery of ruins dating from the Hellenistic, Roman, Byzantine and Ottoman periods.
Rumeli Fortress (From the sea): The largest fortification for the protection of Istanbul built by Sultan Mehmet II in 1451 before his conquest of the city. This garrison is well preserved and its towers and walls can be seen clearly as our boat passes by.
Cable Car to Pierre Loti: Enjoy the beautiful view from the cable car as you climb the hill to the cafe named for the famous French writer and naval officer, Louis Marie Julien Viaud a.k.a. Pierre Loti (1850 -1923), who wrote fiction based on his experiences in Istanbul.
Rustem Pasha Mosque: This majestic and surprising little mosque was designed by the most famous of Ottoman architects, Mimar Sinan, for the Grand Vizier Rustem Pasha who had married Princess Mihrimah, one of the daughters of Sultan Suleyman the Magnificent. Its construction took place from 1561 to 1563. The mosque is famous for its exquisite tiles from Iznik that are set in beautiful floral and geometric arrangements and which cover not only the facade of the porch but also the mihrab, minbar, walls, and columns of the interior.
After the tour, you will be returned to your hotel. You may also choose to part from your guide at the Spice Bazaar, which is the location of the tour’s last visited sight.
- There is a 30% discount for children under the age of 7 and children aged 2 and younger are free
- Please note that the order in which sights are visited may vary
- You are kindly requested to present yourself at the pick up point 15 minutes prior to the preadvised pick up time
- Smoking is not permitted in transportation vehicles nor in museums
- Taksim and Sultanahmet area pick up
- Fully guided tour with the services of an experienced and licensed English speaking guide
- Luxury non smoking air conditioned transportation
- On ground support and access to True Blue Tour Istanbul office should you require any assistance
- All entrance fees
- Option to have True Blue Tour book your hotel
- Travel insurance (travel insurance is included for full itinerary tours but not for separate daily tours)
- Note that items marked as ’optional’ are suggestions not yet included in the price of the tour
- Personal expenses such as hotel extras, etc.